Easily Organize, Claim and Renew Insurance!

Complete Information on RC Transfer Process

If you are planning to sell your car, remember it is compulsory to have the ownership of the vehicle transferred in the name of the buyer. And this is exactly what is known as RC transfer. As per the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988, section 39A, a vehicle is allowable to be driven in public roads only after its registration by the respective authority for registration and registration within 7 days from the delivery date of the vehicle is mandatory in India. Hence, the registration certificate is a certified document which acts as proof that the vehicle is listed and recorded in the records of the Government of India.

RC transfer is critical since it ensures that the vehicle and all legal obligations are being transferred in the name of the buyer. RC transfer not only completes the process of buying and selling of the vehicle but also essential to avoid any future problems and difficulties pertaining to the registration of the vehicle and insurance policy etc. Though buying and selling vehicles have become easy in recent times, you must know the process of RC transfer of a vehicle. Let’s take an exhaustive view of how to transfer RC. We are going to cover the below topics:

  • Types of Registration Certificate
  • Process of RC Transfer
  • Process for obtaining Duplicate Registration Certificate
  • Documents required for getting duplicate RC book
  • Fees or Charges for RC
  • No Objection Certificate
  • Change of address in RC book
  • RC Transfer in case of death of the vehicle owner
  • FAQs

Registration Certificate is of two types as below:

  1. Temporary Registration:
    When a vehicle is newly bought, a temporary registration number is assigned by the dealer which acts as the provisional registration number. This number needs to be registered on a permanent basis as per the law. The temporary Registration number is valid for 30 days and within this time the vehicle must be registered.
  2. Permanent Registration:
    This is the number plate of the vehicle which is a distinct number to prove the genuineness of the owner of the vehicle with other vital details about the vehicle.

Process of RC Transfer

After selling your car, you need to apply for the RC transfer within 14 days from the date of sale of the vehicle. You must intimate the RTO and then you need to apply for the ownership transfer of the vehicle with a specified list of documents which are as follows:

  1. Original Registration Certificate
  2. You need to obtain a no-objection certificate through an application in Form number 28 to the registering department where the vehicle was originally registered.
  3. Form number 29 – an announcement for the transfer of ownership of the vehicle or the two-wheeler) with the necessary details in place. All required information about the seller and purchaser of the vehicle needs to be filled in
  4. Form number 30- It’s an application of notification of transfer
  5. PUC * Certificate
  6. Certificate of Insurance
  7. Address proof like an Aadhaar card, Ration card, any Utility bill etc.
  8. For imported vehicles the custom’s authorization certificate with the licence and the bond
  9. Temporary registration if there is any
  10. For HP (Hire-Purchase) authorization Form number 34- An application for making a record of Hire Purchase following registration
  11. You will have to provide the attested PAN card copies or form 60 as suitable
  12. For transport vehicles the Permit records
  13. Your passport sized Photographs
  14. Your age proof
  15. Sketch imprint of the Chassis and the Engine

Process for obtaining Duplicate Registration Certificate:

In the midst of a busy life and when everything is moving at a fast pace, it might happen that you may lose your important documents and RC is surely one of those vital documents. What happens when you lose the original registration certificate? There might be other situations (mentioned below) also where you would not know what to do? Don’t panic, you just need to know the correct process and documentation and then go ahead and apply for a duplicate registration certificate. Stated below the process for your easy understanding.

There could be some other scenarios where you would need to obtain a duplicate RC. For your ease we have listed them as below:

  • When you are having the original RC but the same is broken or the chip is missing, RC is not valid
  • When your RC has inaccurate details such as number of ownership serial, manufacturing year, etc
  • The details vary in Vahan portal from the original RC
  • When the chassis number in your vehicle is illegible

When your RC book is lost, stolen, or damaged you need to follow the below process

  • You need to file an FIR at the nearest police station
  • You need to give an application to get a duplicate RC via Form number 26
  • If you have bought the vehicle through a bank or a financial institution, then you need to get the signature of the lender of the vehicle and get a No Objection Certificate
  • You need to submit the Form number 26 which is the application for a duplicate RC along with other required documents. You will have to submit all necessary documents with the complaint to the RTO which has issued the initial Registration Certificate

Documents required for getting duplicate RC book

  • Form number 26 which is the application for a duplicate RC
  • Copy of the FIR( First Information Report) which obtained from the local police station
  • Original copy of RC with a damaged part
  • Details of tax for the previous 4 quarters
  • Certificate for Insurance
  • No objection certificates
  • Authentic PUC*
  • Your address proof
  • Challan consent from the traffic department & Enforcement Wing
  • You have to also submit the affidavit confirming the fact that RC is lost and hasn’t been seized
  • Your attested PAN card copies or form 60
  • Sketch imprint of the Chassis and the Engine

Fees or Charges for RC

Here given belowlist of RC fees for some of the main group of vehicles:

Category of VehicleAmount (INR)
Light Motor Vehicle for Non-Transport600
Light Motor Vehicle for Transport1000
Vehicles carrying medium goods1000
Motor Cycle which are Imported2500
Two Wheelers300
Vehicles carrying heavy passengers1500
A motor vehicle which is Imported5000
Vehicles carrying medium passengers1000
Vehicles carrying heavy goods1500
Other vehicles not included in the above list3000

If you are having a question as to what happens if you get transferred to another state for any valid reason or you may want to sell your vehicle outside the domain of the registering authority or to any other state, can you transfer your vehicle to that state? Well, the answer is yes, you can. How and in what way, are some aspects which we will see below to understand the same.

No Objection Certificate

You will have to give an application to go ahead to the respective RTO where the vehicle was originally registered. Let us see the required documents for this process.

List of documents required obtaining the NOC for the RC book

  • Form number 28 which is an application form to obtain State or RTO NOC from the registering authority.
  • Attested copy of the RC
  • Attested copy of the Insurance Certificate
  • PUC* certificate
  • Proof of all updated tax paid
  • Sketch imprint of the Chassis and the Engine
  • Signature proof of the buyer in case you are selling the vehicle or the owner if you are transferring the vehicle from one state to the other

Change of address in the RC book

You also have the option of changing the address in the RC book once you are shifted to a different state. The Motor Vehicle Act 1988 permits you as a owner of the vehicle to register a new address where there has been a modification of the address of the residence in the certificate of registration. You need to apply for the address change with a certain set of documents which are as follows:

  • Form number 33 application form for address change in the RC book
  • RC book
  • Your new address proof
  • PUC* Certificate
  • Certificate of Insurance
  • No objection certificates
  • Fee for the Smart card fee or the registration certificate
  • Your attested PAN card copies or form 60 as appropriate
  • Sketch imprint of the Chassis and the Engine
  • Your signature proof as an owner

RC Transfer in case of death of the vehicle owner

If the owner of the vehicle dies, the buyer will have to submit the below-mentioned documents for transferring RC of the vehicle in his or her name. The vehicle must be re-registered by the legal heirs of the owner who is deceased.

  • Original Registration Certificate
  • Death Certificate of the vehicle owner for proof
  • Succession Certificate issued by a lawyer or any suitable authority
  • From number 30 which is the notice of transfer, has to be filled correctly with the accurate details of the vehicle. The chassis inscription of the vehicle should also be attached with the form when it is submitted
  • Form number 31 which is the form for transfer of ownership of a vehicle in case of death of the seller
  • NOC by the financier if the vehicle was bought on loan
  • Self-attested vehicle insurance copy as appropriate
  • Address proof of the new owner to whom the vehicle will have to be relocated
  • Form 20 which is a verification of the vehicle which is being conducted by the inspection authority
  • PUC* Certificate
  • Attested copy of PAN or Form 60 and 61 as applicable
  • Appropriate transfer fee

RC Transfer status Checking

The RC is sent at the registered owner’s house within a period of 7 days. However, you can also know your RC transfer status, by visiting the official site of https://vahan.parivahan.gov.in/vahanservice/vahan/ui/statevalidation/homepage.xhtml by filling the registration number and the RC transfer status will be showing.

So, now you need not worry as to what to do when you get transferred to a different city or the RC or the smart card is lost, damaged etc. You know exactly what to do and whom to approach. You just need to follow the steps and proceed with the RC transfer. Remember, adhering to the rules pertaining to any vehicle will make your life easier and next time you know what to do.


All the pertinent documents like Form 28 -NOC, Form 29 -Transfer of ownership, Form 30 -Intimation of transfer, copy of the two-wheeler insurance policy, PUC and RC are to be transferred to the buyer of your vehicle. While doing the sale you need to notify the RTO.

The Road Transport Office, Delhi has made the RC transfer process online.

NOC is essential when you want to get a new registration mark in the new state. NOC is mandatory from the RTO where the vehicle is registered when the vehicle is getting transferred from one state to another.

Only after obtaining the NOC you will be able to re-register your bike in a different state. The certificate of NOC from the RTO implies that the department has no issues with any of the processes connected to any bike transfer of that vehicle.

There is no expiry date for NOC. If you do not re-register at Kolkata, then the NOC will get cancelled automatically.