TVS Motor Company is the third-largest two-wheeler manufacturer in India. TVS Motor has offices all over the globe including geographies like South-East Asia, Middle East, Indian Subcontinent, Latin, Central America and Africa. The Company has an annual sale of over three million units with revenue of more than 18,217 crores. TVS Motor has over 90 companies under its umbrella and an annual capacity of over 4.95 million vehicles. It has three manufacturing plants in India and one in Indonesia. TVS Motor is the second-largest vehicle exporter in India exporting to over 60 Countries. It manufactures the largest range of two-wheelers starting from mopeds, to commuter motorcycles, scooters, racing bikes and more. It also has an annual production capacity of 1.2 Lakh three-wheelers. The strength of the company lies in its extensive research and development which results in innovative and advanced products. TVS Motor delivers complete customer satisfaction by anticipating the needs of its customers and presenting quality and stylised vehicles.
Top TVS bike models
Here are the top models of TVS Motors which are popular in the market.
|Name of the Model
|Apache RTR 160
|Apache RTR 160 is a commuter bike powered by 159cc BS6 engine which is mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. It is available in two variants and six colours. With front disk brakes and rear drum, its top model also has an anti-locking brake system. Apache RTR 160 is performance-oriented two-wheeler which is suitable for long-distance journeys. However, being the oldest model, it has aged with time losing out on the features offered by its competitors.
|TVS XL 100
|TVS XL 100 is a commuter bike available in only one variant and powered by 99.7cc single-cylinder and air-cooled motor. It is available in three variants. It has drum brakes in the front and in the rear. Its features include an engine kill switch, LED DRL, USB Charger and ISG silent starter. In order to meet BS6 emission norms, this model also features fuel-injection which makes it the most affordable fuel-injected motorcycle available in India.
|Apache RTR 160 4V
|TVS Apache RTR 160 4V is powered by 159.7cc oil-cooled engine. It is four-valve and its engine is mated to 5-speed super-click gearbox which offers a powerful riding experience. The form of the machine of this model has a singular function that is the quickest around the track. Its features include RT-Fi Race Tuner Fuel Injection, new aerodynamic claw mirrors, attractive race graphics and a new seat, LED headlamp with claw position lamps, wave bite key and more.
|TVS Jupiter is the most popular scooter powered by 110cc BS6 engine, single-cylinder and four-stroke. It is available in three variants. TVS Jupiter has a fuel-injected motor, USB Charger, tinted visor and a mobile cubby hole. Jupiter’s refined engine offers enhanced mileage, better durability and reliability for your vehicle. The launch of TVS Jupiter marked the company’s entry to that part of the market which mainly targets males.
|Apache RR 310
|TVS Apache RR310 is the most powerful Apache till now had won the ‘Best Concept Bike of Auto Expo 2016’. TVS Apache is a sports bike with a single-cylinder engine and 6-speed manual gearbox. The race machine is equipped with SmartXonnect enabled Multi-Information Race the computer. With both front and rear disk brake, Apache RR310 has an anti-locking braking system. The main highlight of this model is the BMW-sourced engine which is very potent for aggressive riding experience.
Why you should insure your TVS bike?
If you own a TVS bike, you need to insure the bike under a motor insurance policy. This rule has been stated in the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 which governs the traffic rules in India. So, as per the Act, a valid third party cover is necessary on your TVS bike which would cover any third party liability that you might face when you get involved in an accident due to the bike.
Besides the mandate of the Act, you need insurance for your TVS bike due to the following reasons –
- If there is an accident involving your bike and an individual is physically hurt or killed, you would be held responsible for the financial loss suffered by the individual and/or his family. You would have to compensate this financial loss which would be considerable and empty out your savings. A third party policy covers this liability that you face and compensates the third party on your behalf thereby saving your finances
- If any third party property is damaged due to the bike, you might have to pay for the damages. This payment might also put a financial strain on you. This is where your third party policy would again come to your aid and help you pay for the damages caused.
- If your bike is stolen, you would incur a financial loss. A comprehensive bike insurance policy covers this financial loss and compensates you. You, therefore, need the coverage to protect against the loss suffered in case of theft
- If your bike is damaged, you would incur considerable financial costs in getting it repaired. If you have a comprehensive bike insurance policy you would not have to pay for the repair costs as the policy would do it for you
- Lastly, since bike insurance is mandatory, you need the policy to avoid legal fines and penalties when using your bike in India
Types of bike insurance plans for TVS bikes
You can choose from two types of bike insurance policies for your TVS bikes based on your coverage needs. These types are as follows
|Third-party liability-only policy
|Comprehensive package policy
|The third-party policy is a legally necessary policy which you should have. The policy covers third party liabilities suffered due to accidents involving your bike
|A comprehensive package policy offers a wider scope of coverage than third party plans. The policy covers both third party liabilities and any damages suffered by your bike.
What is covered under TVS bike insurance plans?
Coverage under TVS bike insurance policies is offered against the following types of contingencies –
- Third-party liability suffered if an individual is physically injured, wounded or killed because of the bike
- Third-party liability suffered if an individual’s property is damaged because of the bike
- Theft of the bike
- Damages to the bike because of natural disasters like floods, lightning, earthquakes, storms, hurricanes, landslides, etc.
- Damages to the bike because of man-made disasters like fire, explosion, riots, malicious acts, etc.
- Damages to the bike when it is being transported from one place to another using rail, air, or water as modes of transportation
Third-party liability plans cover only the first two types of contingencies. However, if you buy a comprehensive bike insurance policy, all the above-mentioned contingencies are covered. Moreover, under both third party and comprehensive plans, there is a personal accident cover for the owner or driver of the bike. Under this cover, a lump sum benefit is paid if the owner or driver suffers from accidental death or disablement in an accident involving the bike.
What is not covered under TVS bike insurance plans?
Both third party and comprehensive policies do not cover claims which arise due to the following instances
- Driving without a license
- Driving outside India
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or any other intoxicating substance
- Using the bike against the limitations of use
- Consequential losses
- Losses suffered due to depreciation and normal wear and tear
- War, nuclear perils and related contingencies
- Committing criminal activities
Add-ons available under TVS bike insurance plans
Comprehensive bike insurance plans offer a range of optional coverage benefits which are called add-ons. These add-ons can be chosen when buying or renewing your TVS two-wheeler insurance policy. Some of the commonly available add-ons include the following
|Type of add-on
|Roadside assistance add-on
|If your bike breaks down and you are stranded in the middle of the road, this add-on helps you avail assistance from the insurance company. The company would send help to get the bike repaired so that you can use it
|Zero depreciation add-on
|When a claim is made due to damages to the bike, the insurance company deducts the cost of depreciation from the claim amount because depreciation is not covered under the plan. This reduces the claim amount substantially and out-of-pocket expenses increase. This add-on nullifies the applicable depreciation. The insurance company, therefore, pays the full claim without deducting depreciation and helps you save money
|NCB protection add-on
|NCB means the no claim bonus which you can earn in your bike insurance policy if you do not make any claim in a policy year. This NCB helps you earn a discount when you renew the plan. When you make a claim, however, the NCB becomes zero and you lose the discount. If this add-on is selected, the NCB is protected even in case of a claim and you don’t lose the discount
|The cost of consumables is not included in the claim amount and you have to pay them yourself. With this add-on, however, the cost of consumables gets included in the claim amount and your out-of-pocket expenses reduce
|Personal accident cover for pillion rider
|Personal accident cover for the owner or driver of the bike is inbuilt in the bike insurance policy. This add-on extends the coverage to the pillion rider as well. If the pillion rider suffers from accidental death or disablement, this add-on pays a lump sum benefit to the rider
|Return to invoice add-on
|Under this add-on, the invoice value of the bike is paid if the bike is totally damaged or if it is stolen
A premium of TVS bike insurance policies
A premium of TVS bike insurance plans depends on the type of policy that you choose, the make model and variant of the bike, claim history, registration location and other factors. Here are the estimated premium rates of the top TVS bike models considering that a comprehensive package policy is chosen for the bikes.
|Name of the Model
|Apache RTR 160
|INR 7,067- INR 8,444
|TVS XL 100
|INR 4,187- INR 4,637
|Apache RTR 160 4V
|INR 7,228- INR 8,098
|INR 4,458- INR 4,496
|Apache RR 310
|INR 8,419- INR 9,599
How to buy TVS bike insurance with Turtlemint?
If you are looking to buy the best bike insurance policy for your TVS bike you can find one on Turtlemint. Turtlemint is an online website which offers insurance solutions for your needs. It is tied up with leading life and general insurance companies offering both life and general insurance plans. Bike insurance plans can also be bought online through Turtlemint. To buy, you can follow the below-mentioned steps
- Visit https://www.turtlemint.sanity.turtle-feature.com/two-wheeler-insurance/ and enter in your bike number to proceed. If you don’t yet have a registration number you can enter in the registration location to find the suitable plans
- Then you need to provide the details of your bike – make and model, fuel variant and manufacturing year
- Then you can enter in your contact details to save your quotes
- When you hit ‘Next’, you would be shown a list of premium quotes of leading insurance companies. The coverage benefits would also be listed next to the policy
- Compare and choose the best bike insurance policy for your TVS bike
- Hit ‘Buy’ and provide your details to complete the application process. Pay the premium online and the policy would be bought. The soft copy of your policy would be emailed to you for quick reference.
How to renew TVS bike insurance plans?
Continued renewal of your TVS bike insurance policy is important for continued coverage and to avoid legal penalties. Renewals of bike insurance plans can be done online from the website of the insurance company from which you have bought the policy. Alternatively, if you have bought the policy from Turtlemint you can renew online from Turtlemint itself. Just log into your Turtlemint account and enter your policy details. Pay the renewal premium and the policy would be renewed.
You can also switch insurers when you are renewing your TVS bike insurance policy. You can visit Turtlemint and find out the premium quotes of different insurance companies after entering your bike details and the details of your last policy. You can, then, compare and choose the most suitable policy and buy it online from Turtlemint.
How to make a claim in your TVS bike insurance policy?
The claim process of TVS bike insurance plans depends on the type of claim that you face. So, here are the different instances of claims and their respective processes which you need to follow
- Third-party claims
In the case of third party claims, inform the insurance company immediately of your claim to get your claim registered. Thereafter, the steps are as follows
- File an FIR with the local police authority
- Your claim would be transferred to the motor accidents tribunal which would rule on the compensation amount
- Once the compensation is stated, the insurance company would compensate the third party and the claim would be settled
- Own damage claims
If your bike has suffered any damages, inform the insurance company and the company would register your claim and help you find the nearest preferred garage. Thereafter, follow these steps
- Take your bike to the preferred garage
- The surveyor would visit the garage and make a claim estimate
- The surveyor would submit his claim report with the insurance company and the company would approve your claim based on that report
- Once approved, the garage would start cashless repairs on your bike
- Once the bike is repaired, you can fulfil the claim documentation and take delivery of your bike
- Theft of the bike
If your bike is stolen, call up the insurance company and inform it about the theft. The company would also register your claim. You should, then, follow the below-mentioned steps
- File a police FIR in the area where the bike was stolen
- The police would try and locate your bike. If they are unsuccessful, they would issue a non-traceable certificate
- Submit this certificate to the insurance company along with other claim related documents and the company would settle your claim
You can also seek Turtlemint’s help in settlement of your bike insurance claim. Simply call Turtlemint at 1800266 0101 and send an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Turtlemint’s claim team would, then, get in touch with you and coordinate your claim with the insurance company. They would take the necessary claim related steps on your behalf so that you can relax and the claim gets settled easily.
The third-party premium is calculated and fixed by the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) which is the insurance regulator. IRDA fixes the premium depending on the cubic capacity of the bike. This premium remains constant for all insurance companies.
For claim settlement, you should submit the following documents
- Policy document
- The claim form, filled and signed by the policyholder
- Copy of driving license of the driver
- Identity proof of the policyholder
- Police FIR wherever necessary
- Any other document as needed by the insurance company
The no-claim bonus rate depends on the number of successive claim-free years which you have experienced. The maximum which you can get is 50%. The detailed rates are as follows
|Claim –free years
|No claim discount
|One claim-free year
|Two successive claim-free years
|Three successive claim-free years
|Four successive claim-free years
|Five successive claim-free years
Yes, a grace period is allowed by the insurance company to pay the outstanding premium of your policy after the due date. If you pay the premium during the grace period, the policy would continue without any lapse. The grace period is one month if you pay premiums annually, half-yearly or quarterly. For monthly premiums, however, the grace period is 15 days.
A deductible represents the amount of claim which is payable by the policyholder. In the case of bike insurance plans, there is a compulsory deductible which is applicable in all claims. You have to pay this deductible and the insurance company would pay the rest of the claim. Voluntary deductible, on the other hand, is voluntary in nature. You can choose this deductible in your policy and voluntarily choose to pay a part of the claim. If you choose a voluntary deductible, the insurance company’s claim liability reduces and so the company offers a premium discount.
The online platform has gained popularity nowadays since it is convenient, fast and simple. You can buy bike insurance plans online without worrying about safety because the online websites are secured websites which offer safety through encrypted transactions. However, you should always choose reputed online websites when buying bike insurance online. Look for the ‘https://’ sign to know whether the website is secured or not. If the website has this sign, you can easily buy bike insurance online without worrying about anything.