Driving has become an important necessity today and it is no longer a luxury for us anymore and hence more and more people are buying their own vehicle and driving as well to avoid the unnecessary cost of the driver. And this is applicable in all the metropolitan cities in India like Kolkata, Bengaluru, New Delhi, Mumbai as well as other parts of the country. Mumbai for example, the busiest metro city in India has many aspirants who want to drive. But what will you do if you wish to learn driving first? The most critical step to have a Driving License in India is getting a Learner’s License. A Learning License is a temporary license which is issued by a specific State Regional Transport Office (RTO) and Regional Transport Authority. You will have to be aware of the traffic rules and regulations to get a Learning License. In India, Learner’s License is given to you after you pass a written assessment or an online test that assesses your understanding and knowledge about the traffic rules. Post obtaining the Learner’s License, you will be allowed to practise driving on the roads. But, point to note here is that you as a learner have to be escorted by a permanent driving license holder. You will get a Learning License for the vehicle type as appropriate before getting a permanent Driving License.
In India, every state and its respective region has its own RTO or RTA office in all the key cities from where you can get the Learner’s License. Many state RTOs have their individual system of online mode where learning license can easily be applied. The essential online learning license forms are obtainable with a practising Learner’s License test.
Here you will see the various aspects of learning licence Mumbai as a resident in the city of Mumbai.
Types of learning licenses in Mumbai
As explained above, you should have a learning licence in Mumbaito get a permanent driving license in Maharashtra, relating to the specific vehicle type you are willing to drive. But obtaining a learning license is a must and you must abide by this law without fail.
Let us first see the types of learner’s license which are present in Mumbai so that you know which one you will apply for.
- Learner’s license for LMV or light motor vehicles
- Learner’s license for all medium vehicles
- Learner’s license for all medium passenger vehicles
- Learner’s license for all heavy passenger vehicles
- Learner’s license for all heavy goods vehicles
- Learner’s license for all motorcycles without gear
- Learner’s license for all motorcycles with gear
- Learner’s license for all motor vehicles with a definite description
- Learner’s license for road rollers
- Learner’s license for all invalid carriages
Eligibility criteria for applying for a learning licence in Mumbai
Does everyone who wants to learn driving gets a learning license? Well, the answer is no, there are certain eligibility criteria for a learning licence in Mumbaiwhich is based on the category of vehicle a person is eager to drive. Below explained are those criteria for ready reference:
- Learning licence in Mumbaifor driving all motorcycles without gear is allotted to you if you are above 16 years of age
- Learning licence in Mumbaito drive all light motor vehicles is given to you if you are of 18 years of age
- Learning licence in Mumbaifor all commercial vehicles is given to you if you are above 20 years of age
- If you are willing to put an application for driving all commercial vehicles, then you must pass the minimum 8th standard
- You as a learner’s license candidate must be aware of the traffic signals, rules and guidelines
Importance of Learner’s License in India
At times the question might strike your mind that why learner’s license is important? Why can’t you apply for a permanent driving license directly? The answer is there are certain reasons as to why you must obtain a Learner’s License in India are:
- A Learner’s License legitimately allows you to learn driving with a well-informed and expert instructor to drive on the Indian roads
- You can practise driving easily with a permanent Driving License holder. This will help you to attain driving skills before the vehicle is taken out lastly
- If you have an authentic Learner’s License, then it is easy to apply and obtain a permanent Driving License
- You are aware of the traffic rules
List of documents required for applying for learner’s license in MumbaiThere are a certain set of documents which youshould submit before appearing for the Learning License exam
- Appointment receipt for Learning License examination
- Duly filled Form Number 2 which is the application and renewal for driving license
- Declaration of Physical Fitness (form 1)
- Medical Fitness Certificate (form 1-A) in case of Learning License application made for heavy transport vehicles and for applicants who are above 50 years of age
- Address proof: any one from the below lists:
- Aadhar Card
- Voter’s id card
- LIC policy
- Ration card
- An affidavit was sworn before a Public Notary or a Judicial Magistrate
- Age Proof: any one from the below lists:
- Aadhar Card
- Voter’s id card
- LIC policy
- Birth Certificate
- School matriculation certificate
- An affidavit attested by a Public Notary or Magistrate
- Current photographs – passport-sized
- If you are applying for a Learner’s License for Transport vehicle, you must produce the original driving license held by you for at least a year for Light Motor Vehicle.
Procedure on how to apply for a learner’s license in Mumbai: Online & Offline
Now comes the most important part which is the process of applying of learner’s license in Mumbai. Don’t worry, it is very easy and user-friendly. Let us see the same below.
- You will have to visit the official website https://parivahan.gov.in/
- You will have to tick on “Online Services” and “Driving Licence”
- You will have to choose the “Apply Online” option after choosing the State of Maharashtra and from the drop-down then choose “New Driving Licence”
- You must read all the directions judiciously and then “Continue”
- You will have to fill your date of birth needs in DDMMYYYY format and then click” OK” where you will be asked to fill up your personal details like the name, address and age
- You will have to upload all the compulsory supporting documents like proof of identity proof of address and age proof
- You will then have to upload a scanned copy passport size photograph with signature
- You will have to choose the date and the time to go to the RTO and give the test
- Your request will be sent to the respective RTO post the payment made by you along with them for
- Once the request has been processed, a notification will be sent to you through an SMS
- Post the above steps are completed, you will have to visit and give the test
- You will have to get Form 2 ( as mentioned above) or form 3 which is the application for learner’s license with passport photographs. You can download these forms online from https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in/ or can be directly taken from the RTO office
- You need to correctly fill the application by attaching photographs, age proof and address proof. You need to visit the local RTO and post submitting the form with other relevant documents, the test date and time will be decided
You should be present as per the schedule. After passing the test, the learner’s licence will be given to you or will be sent to your registered address
Fees learner’s license in Mumbai
The fee for applying for learner’s license in MumbaiRs 151 and Rs 50 for the learning license test. This needs to be paid mandatorily by you while applying for a learning license in Mumbai, be it offline or online, post which the schedule for the test will be decided for accordingly.
Test Procedure to get a learning license in Mumbai
Any test makes us a bit nervous and you as a candidate will feel the same way. But the procedure is easy and very simple to understand. Let us see how. You will have to appear for an online test if the application is made or a written test that will check your acquaintance about the rules of the road and traffic signals. The test is directed as per the rules of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 to gauge your knowledge of traffic regulations and safety on roads. Important points for you to note here as below:
- The test for a learning license in Mumbai is a questionnaire method and you will have to score a minimum of 60% to get the learner’s license
- Submission of the approval slip at the designated counter is required with the payment for the test
- If you fail to pass the test you don’t have to worry as you can retake the test after a week’s time
- You can apply for a Driving License 30 days after the date of issue of the Learner’s License. The application for permanent Driving License needs to be made within 6 months from the date of issue of the Learning License
- You can obtain a sample questionnaire from the official website for reference https://transport.maharashtra.gov.in/1162/Learning-License-Test-Question-Bank
So now, what are you waiting for? If you are planning to learn driving and staying in Mumbai, go for it, Driving is not only exciting but an essential need these days and you must know about driving. Drive carefully, obey the traffic rules and adhere to the road signals and have a safe drive.
A learning license in Mumbai is effective and valid for 6 months period from the issue date
Yes, both unexpired Learner’s License in Mumbai and permanent driving license is fully valid across India.
In Maharashtra, Learner’s License cannot be renewed. If the Learner’s License is expired, then a fresh application needs to be made. Learning License is valid for only 6 months’ time
A learner’s license holder is allowed to practice driving in public roads in Mumbai. It is important for a Learning license holder to exhibit the ‘L’ symbol on his or her vehicle that he or she is learning.
Yes, you can apply if the original Learner’s License is misplaced, whipped, or torn