The Aadhaar Card assigns you a unique identification number that you can use for identification purposes. The Aadhaar Card has become an important document in various transactions and so, many individuals have enrolled under Aadhaar. The Aadhaar Card comes in a long physical format which might prove to be difficult to carry around. Thus, to make the Aadhaar Card more convenient to use, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has introduced a PVC Aadhaar Card.
What is a PVC Aadhaar Card?
A PVC Aadhaar Card is a compact and durable form of the Aadhaar Card which is easy to carry around in your wallet. It looks like a debit or credit card and contains the registered details of the Aadhaar cardholder. The card is laminated making it water and dust-resistant and can be used for Aadhaar related verifications.
Features of PVC Aadhaar Card
Here are some of the salient features of the PVC Aadhaar Card that you should know about –
- For security reasons, the PVC Aadhaar Card has a digital QR code that contains the data of the Aadhaar cardholder
- The photograph of the cardholder along with his/her demographic details are mentioned on the card
- The Aadhaar number is also mentioned on the PVC Aadhaar Card for verification purposes
- Other security features that a PVC Aadhaar Card contains include a hologram, a micro text, a Guilloche pattern, an embossed Aadhaar card logo, a ghost image, and the issue and print date of the Aadhaar card.
Who can apply for a PVC Aadhaar Card?
The PVC Aadhaar Card can be availed by resident Indians who have enrolled under the Aadhaar card. So, if you have an Aadhaar card in your name with a unique 12-digit Aadhaar number, you can apply for a PVC Aadhaar Card UIDAI’s portal by following the application process. You can use your registered mobile number for PVC Aadhaar Card online order. Alternatively, if you do not have a registered mobile number, then also you can apply for the PVC Aadhaar Card online and get the card.
Steps to apply for and download PVC Aadhaar Card
To get the PVC Aadhaar Card you would have to raise a request on the official website of the UIDAI or on the resident portal. Once you raise the request for the PVC Aadhaar Card online order and pay the fees, UIDAI would print the card and dispatch it to your registered address. The process of raising a request for the PVC Aadhaar Card online is as follows –
- Visit either https://uidai.gov.in or https://resident.uidai.gov.in
- On the home page, click on ‘Order Aadhaar PVC Card’ under the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab
- A new window would open wherein you would have to enter your 12-digit Aadhaar card number or 16-digit Virtual ID (VID) number of the 28-digit Enrollment ID (EID) number.
- Also, enter the security code displayed on the screen
- If you are proceeding with your registered mobile number, just click on ‘Send OTP’ or ‘Send TOTP’.
- On the other hand, if your mobile number is not registered or you are using an alternate number, click on the box ‘My mobile number is not registered’ and then provide the non-registered or alternate mobile number. After that, click on ‘Send OTP’ or ‘Send TOTP’
- The OTP or the TOPT would be sent to the registered mobile number or the alternate number that you have provided
- Provide the OTP to complete the application process
- If you have used your registered mobile number, you would be able to see a preview of the card before you place the Aadhaar PVC card order for the card to be printed
- Then, you would have to complete the payment process to complete the Aadhaar PVC Card order. To do so, click on ‘Make Payment’
- You would be directed to the payment gateway wherein you would have to pay INR 50 for printing and dispatch of the PVC Aadhaar card. Once you make the online payment, an online receipt would be created containing a digital signature and a Service Request Number (SRN)
- You can download and print the receipt for your records. You can also note the SRN number and use it to track the PVC Aadhaar card
- Once the card is printed and dispatched, an SMS would be sent to the mobile number used to order Aadhaar PVC Card. The SMS would contain the AWB number to track the package.
PVC Aadhaar card fees
To order and receive the PVC Aadhaar card you would have to pay a fee to the UIDAI for printing and dispatching the card to you. The fee payable is INR 50 which includes printing charges, dispatch charges (through Speed Post) as well as the applicable GST.
Things to know about PVC Aadhaar card
While the PVC Aadhaar card allows you to carry your Aadhaar with you easily, here are some things about the card that you should know about –
- Availing of a PVC Aadhaar card is not mandatory. If you have the original Aadhaar card, mAadhaar, eAadhaar or the Aadhaar Letter, they would also serve as the Aadhaar card and help you in verification purposes.
- If there are some changes in the details contained on your Aadhaar card and you want the updated details to be printed on the PVC Aadhaar card, you should first get the details changed in your original Aadhaar card. The PVC Aadhaar card replicates the details mentioned on the Aadhaar card and so, for any update, the Aadhaar card should first be changed.
- Once you place an online order for a PVC Aadhaar card, the UIDAI prints and hands over the card to the Department of Posts (DoP) within a period of 5 working days. Thereafter, the DoP dispatches the card which takes another few days to reach you.
So, if you want a PVC Aadhaar card for convenience, you can order it online and get it delivered right to your doorsteps.
The fees for the PVC Aadhaar card should be paid online using your debit or credit card, net banking facility or the UPI platform.
You can track your PVC Aadhaar card online through UIDAI’s portal. Visit https://uidai.gov.in/ and choose ‘Check Aadhaar PVC Status’ under the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab. Provide your Aadhaar card number to check the status of the PVC Aadhaar card.
The AWB number is the Airway Bill Number which is assigned by the Department of Posts (DoP) for the package it sends. You can use the AWB number and track the Aadhaar smart card online through the DoP’s website.
Yes, you can order the Aadhaar smart card online for your mother or any other family member who owns an Aadhaar card.
If you don’t have an Aadhaar card, you cannot order Aadhaar PVC card. You would first have to get enrolled under the Aadhaar card after which you can order the PVC Aadhaar card using your enrolment ID (EID) number.