In order to have strong governance and an effective monitoring system, the Government of India has issued several identity documents in proving the identity of any Indian citizen. And to further strengthen the administration and controlling system, the Government of India has introduced Aadhaar card, a one-stop resolution for everything in our financial lives. Let us see what is an Aadhar?
What exactly is an Aadhaar Card?
Aadhaar is issued by the UIDAI to a citizen in India. An Aadhaar card is a Government-issued card that contains the personal details and biometric details of an individual. The card has a 12-digit unique Aadhaar number which is assigned to each individual who enrols for the card. This number helps in identifying a particular individual from others. The Aadhaar card comprises the below details of an individual:
- Date of birth
- Name of the Father or the Spouse as applicable
- Iris scan of the applicant
Rationale and importance of Jio Aadhaar link
Aadhaar has become a very important way to authenticate your identity and a unique way of storing some vital data in a central warehouse of the country. During your Aadhaar enrolment, you need to furnish a valid contact number and the email id that belongs to you. These will be recorded as your contact details in your Aadhaar card. It is of utmost importance that you provide a valid and the right mobile number for you to availing the subsidies or benefits provided by the government, perform financial transactions, etc. Aadhaar gives a unique identification number to individuals thereby supporting the Government to identify the Indian citizens and update its population records. Aadhaar card helps in validating your identity as it stores your biometric details. Financial transactions become very easy and convenient when you provide your Aadhaar as a valid proof. This eradicates the probability of fraud and money laundering thereby making easy for sellers to differentiate between genuine and fake buyers.
With the same logic and rationale as stated above, the government has proposed for linking your Aadhaar number with all your financial instruments, important documents as well as your mobile number to prevent frauds and false individualities and to perform all transactions efficiently. With ever-increasing fraud and illegitimate use of mobile connections, linking mobile phones with Aadhaar will help the government to destroy false users.
Jio, a leading Indian telecommunication company by Reliance Industries, has come up with an easy process to do a Jio Aadhaar link, by which the Jio mobile users can link their mobiles with their Aadhaar number. At first, linking Aadhaar with your mobile number was made essential as per the Government order, however, presently it’s not compulsory.
What is the Jio Aadhaar link process?
Now that you have understood what is the importance of Jio Aadhaar link, let us see what is Jio Aadhaar link. Well, it is a way in which you, with an active Jio cell number, can link your details with your Aadhaar number. Hence, by doing Jio Aadhaar link, your details will get warehoused in a central database. Jio is not just a telecom system, it is an entire network that permits Indians to live a digital life to the fullest extent. This ecosystem comprises of strong broadband networks, beneficial applications, top-class services and smart strategies disseminated to every single doorstep in India.
Jio provides you with few ways to do a Jio Aadhaar link. Here, we will take you through the Jio Aadhaar link process and understand various methods.
How to do Jio Aadhaar link?
Jio Aadhaar link can be done in 3 different ways. Here are the below steps mentioned for your ease for each of these methods:
- Jio Aadhaar link via OTP: You can use Aadhaar OTP-based verification facility only if you have already registered your mobile number with your Aadhaar. If you have more than one Jio mobile number and your want to link the main mobile number, which is not linked with your Aadhaar, then you need to visit any nearest Jio store to get the same updated. Follow the below steps for this method:
Step 1: Dial a toll-free number 14546 from your Jio mobile phone
Step 2: Press 1 for as a resident of India and re-verify your Aadhar
Step 3: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar card number
Step 4: Press 1 to confirm your Aadhar number
Step 5: Enter your Jio mobile number registered with your Aadhaar to get an OTP
Step 6: IVR will state the last 4 digits of your Jio cell number
Step 7: Enter the OTP which you have received
Step 8: Press 1 to complete the process of re-verification
- Jio Aadhaar link via Offline: If you are an existing Jio mobile number holder, you may follow the below steps to do Jio Aadhaar link
Step 1: Visit your nearest Jio store
Step 2: Submit a self-attested copy of your Aadhaar with your Jio cell number
Step 3: A 4-digit OTP to your mobile number by the store officer
Step 4: Submit the OTP to the Jio officer and provide your biometrics
Step 5: Answer with a Yes or ‘Y’ to complete the re-verification process
- Jio Aadhaar link via IVR: You may follow the below-mentioned steps to link your Aadhaar with your Jio phone number through an IVR system:
Step 1: Dial Jio’s toll-free number from your Jio mobile phone
Step 2:Follow the instructions in IVR and select the option of Aadhaar verification
Step 3: Now enter your Aadhaar number
Step 4:Confirm your reply and press “1”
Step 5:Your Aadhaar number will be linked with your Jio mobile number
Step 6:You will receive a confirmation message and the same will be sent to your Jio cell number
Documents required for Jio Aadhaar link
Below is the list of documents that you needed for linking:
- Aadhaar Card or your 12- digit Aadhaar Number – can be a soft copy Or UID receipt number in case you have applied for your Aadhaar and is yet to get the same
- Your active Jio mobile number
- OTP PIN on your Jio phone number
- Your biometric fingerprint
Fee neededfor Jio Aadhaar link
You, as a Jio subscriber, need not pay any fee to do a Jio Aadhaar link
Important points to remember for Jio Aadhaar link
- No need for you to re-verify your Jio cell number once more, in case you have already given your biometric during activating your Jio mobile connection
- You need to re-verify your cell number again, if you have given your Aadhaar at the time of taking the new connection, however, did not give any biometric verification
- You need to link your Aadhaar with all your active Jio mobile connections
- Linking Aadhaar with your Jio mobile number is not mandatory. The government had planned to make the same compulsory with a steep deadline of 31st March 2018, but the judgment released by the Supreme Court has changed the deadline, until further notice.
E-KYC of Jio numbers
Gone are the days when SIM activation took 3-5 days. With the help of your Aadhaar card, you can get your SIM activated within 15 minutes! This method of online SIM activation is known as e-KYC.
You can buy a SIM and walk out from a JIO store with an activated SIM within 15 mins. All you need to do is :
- Visit your nearest Reliance Digital Store, mini-stores with your Aadhaar card.
- Along with the Aadhar card carry an address proof and two latest passport size photos of yours.
- The Reliance store staff will verify your documents and Aadhaar details.
- You will have to make a payment to buy the SIM card and get some service plans on your SIM.
- Within 15 minutes your SIM card will be ready to use!
There are a few things you need to know:
- Ensure that the pictures you submit are not older than three months.
- Please submit clear photocopies of all documents. This is very crucial for verification.
- If you want the SIM card in your name, you will have to be present there. As the SIM buying and activation process will involve some document signing, nobody can buy it on your behalf.
Pros and Cons of Jio Aadhaar link
- Identification the fake Jio mobile subscribers
- Immediate tool for e-KYC
- Online authentication of your ITR can be done by your Aadhaar card with an OTP, that is being created and sent to your cell number that is linked to your Aadhaar number
- Risk of data being leaked and misused, since all data are stored in one single place
- If you have more than one Jio mobile number, you need to link each of them individually
- A difficult task for poor people
So, now that you know how to do a Jio Aadhaar link, it would be very easy for you to follow the process and to do the needful and you can guide others as well. If you have done the Jio Aadhaar link, no need to get anxious. But in case if you have any second opinion about the linking or if you have any other concern, you may wait to receive more clarity from the Supreme Court till a final announcement is made for this aspect.