India is advancing a lot towards the concept of being digital and it is in this respect the government of India has brought an innovative identity document called the Aadhaar Card for citizens of India. Aadhaar Card is now the most important document used for identity and as well as address proof of any individual.
What exactly is an Aadhaar Card?
Aadhaar Card is a unique 12- digit identification number that is issued to all Indian citizens including children and infants. The card contains their biometric statistics and demographic data and is used for authentication purposes. Aadhaar Card acts as the core proof of being an Indian citizen and is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India or UIDAI free of charge. An Aadhaar card is issued to all resident Indians who enrol for the card. It is of extreme importance to obtain an Aadhaar card as it is a very valuable document that permits you to do many activities smoothly. The Aadhaar card once issued is effective for your full lifetime.
What is an Update Request Number or URN?
It may happen that after you receive your Aadhaar card, there is some data or information where you need correction or you may want to update any data like an address, cell number, etc. In that case, you need to place your request for correction and update and the reference number for this request is called Update Request Number or URN. It is a system-generated unique number that is assigned to you when you want any correction or update in your Aadhaar Data online or offline. You can use this URN to check the URN status online anytime. You need to keep the URN secured and safe as this is needed to track the Aadhaar URN status. If you misplace the URN, you will not know the status of your request for correcting or updating your Aadhaar card data.
Different Ways to Check URN Status
There are various ways to check Aadhaar URN status. Here, we will take you through the step-by-step process of checking URN status in different ways online.
Check Aadhaar Updation Request Status using EID
One of the easiest ways to check the Aadhaar card URN status is using the EID on the Self-Service Update Portal online (SSUP portal). As this is an official digital platform of Aadhaar, this can be accessed anytime from anywhere. With some simple steps, you can check Aadhaar Card URN Status online.
Here are the simple steps to follow to check Aadhaar Card URN Status online:
- Visit the official website of the Utnique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- Go to the ‘My Aadhaar’ main tab and click on the ‘Get Aadhaar’ section. Under this section, select the ‘Check Aadhaar Status’ option
- Enter your 28-digit enrolment ID (EID) mentioned on your acknowledgement copy and time of enrolment. This includes 14-digit ENO (that looks something like 1234/12345/12345) and the 14-digit date and time stamp on the acknowledgement slip
- Enter the captcha code for verification and then click on ‘check status’
- The status of your Aadhaar updation request will be displayed on the screen.
Check Aadhaar Updation Request Status if you do not EID
If you do not have EID readily available for you to check the status of the aadhaar updation request that you have placed, you can get EID by using your registered mobile number and registered email ID. Here are the simple steps to retrieve your EID for checking Aadhaar URN status.
- Visit the official website of the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- Go to the ‘My Aadhaar’ main tab and click on the ‘Get Aadhaar’ section. Under this section, select the ‘Retrieve Lost or Forgotten EID/UID’ option
- As the new page opens, choose the enrolment ID (EID) option for retrieval.
- Fill in the relevant details on the page such as full name, registered mobile number and email address
- Enter the captcha code for verification and click on the ‘send OTP’ option
- OTP (one-time password) will be sent on your registered mobile number or on your registered email ID
- Enter the OTP and confirm to receive the enrolment ID (EID)
- Once you receive EID, go back to the ‘Check Aadhaar Status’ option under the ‘get aadhaar’ tab
- Enter your 28-digit EID and then enter captcha code
- Click on the ‘check status’ tab to know Aadhaar URN status.
Check Aadhaar Updation Request Status using UID
It is quite easy to check the status of demographic update requests using UID online. Here are the simple steps to follow for checking Aadhaar URN status online.
- Visit Aadhaar Self Service Update Portal (uidai.gov.in)to check the status
- Fill in your 12 digits Aadhaar number (UID)
- Enter captcha code for verification and click on ‘send OTP’
- Enter the 6-digit one-time password (OTP) that you receive on your registered mobile number or on your registered email ID and click on the ‘check status’ option to know the status of your aadhaar updation request.
You will get to know the outcome on the result page where you may come up with three different possible scenarios. Let us see those as below:
- 1st Situation: If the request submitted by you is positive, it implies that the corrections or updates have been made effective in your Aadhaar card and now you will be able to download the fresh copy of your e-Aadhaar. Also, you will receive your Aadhaar card by post
- 2nd Situation: The request which you have submitted is under work in progress and this means that the corrections or updates are waiting for approval from the respective authority. You need to re-check-the same after some days
- 3rd Situation: If there has been rejected in the request which you have placed. This would mean that the corrections or updates have not been processed due to any valid reason and you need to re-apply for the same
Reasons for rejection of Aadhaar URN
The request for correction or updating details in your Aadhaar card might be rejected by the UIDAI. In that case, you will be in a position to view the rejection reason on the result sheet itself. Additionally, the UIDAI will send an Aadhar letter to your registered residential address informing you about the rejection. Rejection of Aadhar Card application is also informed via SMS which will be sent to your registered cell number that is provided by you during enrolment. There could be many reasons for rejection. Let us see some possible reasons for rejection as below:
- Inadequate documents:
It may happen that the documents which you have provided are not as per the specified list and are insufficient resulting in rejection of your correction or update request. You can refer https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/ssup/instruction to know more about the valid document list
- Incorrect details in the application form:
You may have given inaccurate details and the application form was incomplete
- Biometric information not provided:
You may have not provided your biometric data like fingerprints, iris scan, etc and therefore your application was rejected
- Unclear and Hazy Photograph:
Your photograph taken at the enrolment centre is not clear and cannot be recognized, and hence there can be a rejection of the same
- Important information not provided:
You may have missed providing some important information as required in the application form
- Typographical errors in your correction or update application form:
There may be a typographical error that can also result in the rejection of the form
- Self-attestation missing:
All supporting documents have to be self-attested and in case they are not, the same will not be accepted
- Already Enrolled:
Rejection of your application is also possible when you have already enrolled yourself for the Aadhar Card
- Black and White Photograph:
Your photo needs to be a coloured scanned photo, a black and white photo will be rejected
In case your application is rejected, you must not be disappointed. You are allowed to re-apply with proper supporting documents and necessary details. If you are unsure about it, you can visit your nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre and take assistance.
How to update Aadhaar
An Aadhaar is a unique identification document for every Indian citizen and it helps to recognize the entitled recipients. And therefore, it is very important to make sure that all your particulars and other details in your Aadhaar card are correct and right. Else, you will face issues with a wrong identity document and may not be able to obtain the benefits rendered by having an Aadhaar card. No matter what the type of error is like a mistake is your name, age, address, or anything else, it is critical to have these errors corrected on an immediate basis. You can correct these mistakes both online and offline.
- Online –UIDAI Official Site
You must have your cell number registered with your Aadhaar card for you to go ahead and update or correct the wrong information or data yourself. There is an ‘Update Demographics Data Online’ option under the ‘Update your Aadhaar’ section of the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab. You can update your name, date of birth, gender, address and language in your aadhaar record using this option. If your cell number is not linked with your Aadhaar, then you need to visit your nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre. In case, you do not have a desktop or a laptop or do not have access to the internet, you can have the necessary changes completed at your nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre. You will get the URN which you check to know your Aadhaar URN status online.
- Offline – Through PostYou can correct or update your Aadhaar details via the post. You need to have the Aadhaar Correction or update form from the next-door Aadhaar centre. Fill in the details correctly and then you can send the same to the particular authority via post. Ensure to attach the self-attested photocopies of the supporting documents. You may send to any one of the below-mentioned addresses:
- UIDAI Post Box No. 10, Chhindwara, M.P – 480 001
- UIDAI post box no. 99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad – 34
Aadhaar information is not only used by the Indian Government but by private establishments as well to authenticate your details for them to complete many significant procedures. Hence, you must ensure that you have your Aadhaar card information and data updated always for future use.
Update or Correction in Aadhaar takes about 90 days after placing the request.
No, you cannot. All Biometric updates along with your photograph you need to visit the nearest Aadhaar Permanent Enrolment centre personally.
Yes, you are allowed to update your biometrics data like your fingerPrints, Iris scan or photograph in your Aadhaar card. You need to go to the nearest Permanent Enrolment centre for any biometrics updates.
You need to physically visit the nearest Aadhaar update centre for you to update your mobile number. But for this situation, you will not be able to update your cell number via post or online.
No, you cannot do the same online as the cell number is not corrected or updated online. You may visit your nearest Permanent Enrolment centre for doing so.