Change of name after marriage for Indian women is a common culture. Many women change their first name or surname after getting married as a part of their custom. Though name change after marriage is not a mandatory legal requirement, it is something that you see common in India. Many women in India would apply for name change in their various important documents and records. This includes PAN card, Bank account, aadhaar card and passport etc.
Aadhaar card and PAN card are the two most important identity documents in India that are used more often. Basically, these documents are used for filing the income tax return, availing government subsidies, government schemes, social services, scholarships and to avail many such benefits. An Aadhaar card is a unique identification document (UID) that is made mandatory with a PAN number to file an income tax return. Hence, if there is any change in name due to marriage needs to be effectively updated in every record and in every document to avoid the hassles. Details in your aadhaar need to be up to date. The name change is quite common in India after marriage as brides would be willing to adopt the groom’s surname. In case you are recently married or going to get married and you wish to change your name officially, you need to get it updated in your aadhaar records and also in other documents and records. Updation or correction of the name after marriage can be done in aadhaar card via various methods. Let’s learn about how to change surname in aadhaar card along with the detailed processes involved in the update.
Charges for updating name in Aadhaar card
There are certain fees and charges that you need to pay if you want to go for an Aadhar name change. The table below shows the charges for Adhar card name change:
|Mandatory Biometric Update
|Any kind of demographic update
|INR 50 (includes GST)
|Biometric with demographic update
|Download & printing of Aadhaar card on A4 sheet
As a resident who wishes to go for aadhar card name change online or offline, you should know that apart from the above-mentioned charges, there is nothing else that you need to be. You also need to know that if, in one single instance, you want more than one field to be updated, it would be considered as a single instance only. You can also make an online payment when you book an appointment through the UIDAI website.
What all details can be changed in the Aadhaar Card?
When you visit the Aadhaar Enrolment centre for an Aadhaar card name change, you can get your biometrics as well as the demographics modified.
- Biometrics include your iris, fingerprints and your photograph
- Demographics include your name, your date of birth, your address, your email address and your mobile number.
If you are someone who has recently gotten married or has officially got a name change, you can also opt for the Aadhar card name change online and get the process completed very soon.
Process for aadhaar card name change after marriage
Updation or correction of the name after marriage in your aadhaar records can be done via both online and offline methods. The online method involves updating the changed name in aadhaar records on the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). The offline method involves updating the changed name by visiting the Aadhaar Permanent Enrolment Centres nearest to you. Let’s look at the detailed process of updating name change in aadhaar card.
Process for aadhaar card name change after marriage via online method
If your mobile number is registered in your aadhaar records, there are various online services you can avail as offered by Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). You can update or correct your name online in your aadhaar records. Following are the step-by-step process to update your changed name after marriage in your aadhaar card –
- Visit the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- Submit a name change request through ‘update aadhaar details online’ option
- You can change your surname or full name by placing the request in the specified format
- Upload a scanned copy of your self-attested documents supporting the name change as approved by the Government of India
- Click on ‘Send OTP’ (one time password). The one-time password (OTP) will be sent on your aadhaar registered mobile number
- Validate and verify the name change or update request online by entering the OTP received on your registered mobile number in the relevant box
- After the validation of request and verification of proof submitted, a confirmation message will be sent on your aadhaar registered mobile number on update/correction of name in the aadhaar records.
The process to change names in the aadhaar records online involves no cost. A name change in the records of aadhaar is allowed twice in lifetime. The third-time name change request is allowed only on an exceptional basis with the terms and conditions applicable. However, the service to update or correct names in the records of aadhaar online is currently unavailable which may again be made available in future.
Process for aadhaar card name change after marriage via offline method
You can place a request for update or correction of name in aadhaar by visiting the nearest Aadhaar Permanent Enrolment Centre. Following is the step-by-step process for aadhaar card name change after marriage via offline method –
- You can locate the aadhaar enrolment centre near to you through the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). Mention your state and postal code to search for the enrolment centre nearest to you.
- Make sure to carry all the valid documents required to be produced for name change in aadhaar card. Also, ensure to carry your aadhaar card. Carry every document in original. It may be required for verification purposes.
- Ask for an update request form to change the name in the aadhaar at the Aadhaar Enrolment Centre.
- Fill in all the required details in the aadhaar update request form. Submit the self-attested copy of all the relevant supporting documents along with the duly filled and signed aadhaar update request form.
- The offline process involves a nominal fee of INR 50. After submitting the name update request, the form and documents will be verified by the officials.
- After verification, confirmation SMS will be sent on your aadhaar registered mobile number confirming the update of the name in the aadhaar records.
Documents required for the updation or correction of name in aadhaar card
Main reasons for address change are normally the change in life events like marriage. Hence, a marriage certificate is one of the important documents for changing your name from maiden name to married name. If you are newly married or going to get married in a few days, an important thing to note is that you need to get the marriage certificate from the office of the Sub-Divisional Magistrate of your jurisdiction to produce anywhere as proof of your marriage. With the marriage certificate, you can get the name changed in various other documents which can also be produced as supporting documents or proof for changing the name in aadhaar card. Following are the documents accepted along with marriage certificate –
- PAN card
- Driving license
- Voter ID
- Ration card
- Credit cards with photo
- Bank ATM cards with photo
- Any photo identity card issued by the State or Central Government in India
- Service photo ID card issued by Public Sector Undertakings
- The photo ID card of pensioner
- Job card of NREGS
- Photo identity card issued by a recognised educational institution.
- Arms license
- Kissan Passbook with photo
- Freedom fighter card
- CGHS/ECHS card
Amount of time Name updation on Aadhar takes
The processing time for updates on Aadhar can be 90 days. However, during the time of submitting the updation request, individuals are provided with the acknowledgement receipt with a URN (Update Request Number). The individual can check her update status online using the URN number. If it would have been changed, the altered details will be reflected.
Can the Aadhaar Card name change application be rejected after marriage?
Yes, there are chances that your name change application may get rejected. It can happen if any of the documents are incorrect. So, it is suggested to bring the original copy of your marriage certificate when requesting the name change on the Aadhaar Card.
Things to keep in mind while applying for updation or correction on the name in aadhaar card
- Updating any details in your aadhaar card is quite simple with all the information clearly available on the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). However, there are certain things that you need to keep in mind while placing requests for updates or corrections of your name in your aadhaar card. Following are the things to keep in mind –
- Once you place the request for update or correction of name in the aadhaar card, you will be given an Updation Request Number (URN) for the reference which can be used for tracking the status of your update or correction of name in the aadhaar card. Ensure to keep the Updation Request Number (URN) safely.
- The process of updating or correcting names in the aadhaar card takes about 90 days for completion. After completion, you will receive the confirmation SMS on your aadhaar registered mobile number. You can then download the e-aadhaar card online on the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)
- Make sure to provide every information in the form correctly without any mistake.
- Ensure to self-attest all the copies of supporting documents that you are enclosing or uploading for the update of the name in aadhaar card. Ensure there are no discrepancies in the photocopies enclosed or produced.
- Ensure to enclose all the relevant documents required for update or correction of name in the aadhaar card.
With the mobile number registered, availing any service related to aadhaar is quite easy on the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). Changing any demographic details in your aadhaar card is easy with the ease provided by the Government of India. As you can also download e-aadhaar after the update of details, it offers more convenience.
Yes. You can submit the request for updation or correction of name in your aadhaar card by post after enclosing all the relevant documents to the following address –
Post Box No. 10, Chhindwara,
Madhya Pradesh – 480001, India
Post Box No. 99, Banjara Hills,
Hyderabad – 500034, India
You can visit the official website of Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and check for aadhaar update status under ‘update aadhaar’ option.
Updated aadhaar letter will be mailed to your registered mailing address only in case you have requested for it.